What We Think We Become!
Many of us believe that we are too busy to make a difference in the state of the world. While we might not all have the spare time or money to fly off and work on orangutang habitat restoration projects, or build homes in an African village we all have the capacity to make huge changes with a tool that doesn’t cost a cent or impede on our busy daily agenda. We can use our big, plump, mushy and marvellous minds! A tool so marvellous that we as a species still have very little idea about how it works even after hundreds (nay thousands) of years of relentless study. Despite what we are told by the media and our peers our capacity to change the planet doesn’t stop at tangible outcomes. Simply by changing our way of thinking we change the world around us. When we green our thoughts, our thoughts- over time -start to translate into our daily actions. While it can seem a little bit crazy to think that thinking and the power of positive suggestion can result in tangible outcomes there have been many reported cases of ‘mind-over-matter’ in the scientific world. You can read a really well written account of the effects of the power of suggestion in regards to placebo drugs here. The follow snippets are some thoughts I have collected from some of my favourite teachers to assist you in changing the planet from the comfort of your own brain.
- If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change~ Wayne Dyer
- The next step in human evolution is not inevitable, but for the first time in the history of our planet, it can be a conscious choice. Who is making that choice? You are. And who are you? Consciousness that has become conscious of itself ~ Eckhart Tolle
- Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself~ Rumi
- Nonconformity is the highest evolutionary attainment of social animals ~ Aldo Leopold
- The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognise that we ought to control our thoughts ~ Charles Darwin
- None of us will ever accomplish anything excellent or commanding except when he listens to this whisper which is heard by him alone~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life so. Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something~Henry David Thoreau.
- The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before- Albert Einstein
- When you plant lettuce, if it does not grow well, you don’t blame the lettuce. You look for reasons it is not doing well. It may need fertilizer, or more water, or
less sun. You never blame the lettuce. Yet if we have problems with our friends or family, we blame the other person. But if we know how to take care of them, they will grow well, like the lettuce. Blaming has no positive effect at all, nor does trying to persuade using reason and argument. That is my experience. No blame, no
reasoning, no argument, just understanding. If you understand, and you show that you understand, you can love, and the situation will change~ Thich Nhat Hanh
- Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature – the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter ~Rachel Carson
- When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it–always ~ Mahatma Gandhi
- People are doing the best that they can from their own level of consciousness~ Deepak Chopra
Do any of these quotes stir an emotion inside you? Care to share it? Do you have a favourite quote? Let us know about it below.