Got Some Thrifted Gold that Doesn’t Fit Quite Right?
Never fear! There are loads of DIY ideas on how to alter thrift to fit your style. While I could sit here and come up with a bunch of DIY’s alterations posts I am far too lazy for that. Instead I have used my science research prowess to find a whole collection of alteration tutorials and inspiration out there in blog land. The following is a list of resources to help you overcome thrifting hurdles and embrace the joy of personalising your goodies.
- Quick No Sew Alterations from Clothes Encounters: These are all great tips that I utilise regularly in my own closet. Despite my good intentions I never find much time for sewing alterations.
- Quick and Easy Alterations from Dress Me Woman: A handy reminder that alterations don’t need to be mammoth undertakings to have an impact on the overall look of a garment. Click the link in the description for the blog post. Her designs are really clever and modern.
- Refashionista: A fab resource for more complicated vintage alteration ideas and tricks.
- Easy to follow revamps from The Renegade Seamstress: These fashion revamps would appeal to a more timeless audience, with a side serve of children and gift giving DIY’s
- How to turn your granny frock into a glam party number from Chic on the Cheap: These kind of ‘granny dresses’ are super easy to thrift if this party dress overhaul appeals to you.
- Cute Men’s Shirt Upcycle from Mighty Manny: This would be a good staple item in most ladies closets and men’s shirts are plentiful in most op-shops.
- Men’s Shirt to Peplum Shirt Upcycle from Rachel’s Craft Channel: Bad sound quality but an awesome transformation!
- Prada look on the Cheap from Natalie’s Creations: A pretty impressive effort turing tee’s into couture style fashion.
- Another Tee to Dress Transformation for the young and young at heart from Boat People Vintage: This DIY is fun, funky, and festival ready.
- Level up T-Shirt alterations from Andreas Choice: This tutorial has a whole collection of ways to use up your old tees that would suit festival heads!
Hopefully this little collection of links contains at least one project to get your creative juices flowing and/or solve a thrifted item fit dilemma. If not, it at least shows you that the ways you can wear your thrifted goods are only limited by your imagination. A good tip for finding the right tutorial for you is to browse through some of the Youtube videos in the links above and suss out the ‘Up Next’ suggestions on the side bar. This will allow you to discover some up-cycled, refashioned, or alterations ideas that appeal to your personal sense of style.
So next time you hit up the thrift store go in confident and openminded. If something doesn’t fit quite right start to imagine how you would like to wear it. If you can think of a way to wear it that might only require minor alterations, or alterations that you feel you could achieve yourself (or enlist a tailor to do for you), then you might be on to a winner! The key is to only buy items you are going to follow through on alterations, otherwise you will fill your closet full of ill-fitting clutter.
Have you had any success stories with thrifting alterations or even a good #alterationfail story?
Perhaps you have a favourite place for alteration info and inspo?
Blab about it below!