Every year Melbourne opens it’s heart and streets to the fabulously stylish with their annual fashion festival. Some years ago during my fashion days I was able to participate backstage in this festive event and I would have to say it was a highlight memory from my career in fashion. Fortunately for us conscious style folks every year that passes there seems to be a growing focus on the inclusion of sustainable, ethical, and vegan fashion at these types of events. This years VAMFF Lush Terrain show sees a collection of carefully cultivated fashion inspired by sustainable methods and materials hitting the catwalk in lush style. With the Fitzroy Conservatory as the backdrop the show has promise of a magical and floral filled evening! Upcycling, recycled fabrics, zero waste patternmaking and organic materials are some of the methods used by these considered designers to create desirable fashion that treads lightly upon the Earth.
Lush Terrain will celebrate our rich natural world by showing that sustainability is not a limitation, but a positive way forward and a desirable lifestyle.
On the night you will see designs from Surrender Yoga, EDITION by Alice Sutton, Gehrich, Cadia Belante and Heidi Hibberd.
- Surrender Yoga: Clothing for the world-cosnious yoga devotee. Designer Julie Belic deftly blurs the line between activewear and fashion. At Lush Terrain Surrender Yoga will launch and activewear collection made from recycled nylon sourced from commercial fishing nets combined with knits and outerwear for the runway.
- Cadia Belante: Cala Belante created her namesake label in response to the increasing volume of existing materials and the rate at which these materials are becoming landfill. Naida is inspired by the interplay between art and fashion, innovative pop culture and the possibilities of re-purposing fabrics.
- EDITION by Alice Sutton: Alice is inspired by the meaning of place and how this can be interpreted not wearable garments. Employing a zero waste philosophy Selvedge 2 Selvedge pattern making results in EDITION’s distinctive aesthetic, all made in Australia.
- Heidi Hibberd: Heidi Hibberd’s colourful, ethical fashion range (shown above) is a testament to the vibrant way she pursues life, beauty and meaning. Currently based between Singapore and Bali, she has spent the last two years painting a series of large scale artworks to capture her experiences of life around Australasia. This series is now being launched at Lush Terrain as a tropical texiles collection on eco-silks, organic cottons and recycled Italian nylon.
- GEHRICH: Lives for the journey from concept to coat hanger. Offering designer fashion with an exclusive feel and exceptional quality both in material and construction. GEHRICH specialise in true investment pieces that can be loved and enjoyed season after season. Designers Samantha Gehrich and Chris Thomal seek to put Melbourne on the map for luxury.
The video below from GEHRICH gives you some insights into the deign considerations that go into creating a conscious collection
The show is on Thursday March 2nd 7pm- 9pm and you can get tickets from $25 by clicking here. If you are heading there be on the look out for my gals from Eco Warrior Princess and The Green Hub who are flying south for event. If you see them give them a hug on my behalf.