Today’s word (isn’t rainbows or rabbits) it’s Rethink!
When COVID-19 hit we all got quite a bit of time to stay home (with our #sustainableself) and rethink the way we are approaching life. What we collectively find is that when it comes to living life in #sustainablestyle we’ve got ample room for improvement! So, let’s reframe (another great R word) our mindset from ‘the problems are too big and too many’ to one of joy at the opportunities we have to make small steps each day towards a collective sustainable future!
Like we mentioned earlier in the week, you don’t have to do all the things all the time. That’s impossible- even our world leaders with all their resources haven’t been able to accomplish that. You just need to pick something based on your values and work towards making mindful actions.
Stuck for ideas?
We’ve got you covered!
RETHINK BASED ON YOUR VALUES MOTIVATORS
Don’t know what motivates you to live life in Sustainable Style just yet?
Take the quiz and find out!
ANIMAL WELFARE AND COMPASSION MOTIVATORS
- Clothing items made from animal products
- Products containing palm oil
- Buying from brands that test on animals
- Purchasing pets from pet stores when there’s shelter pets that need homes too!
- If you think animals should be kept as pets.
ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY MOTIVATORS
- Clothing made from non-biodegradable fibres
- Food in takeaway containers
- How you commute
- Your electricity sources
- If your bank supports the extraction of non-renewable resources
SOCIAL EQUALITY MOTIVATORS
- Buying clothes from fast fashion labels that support unethical labour practices
- Your social media feed- is it showing marginalised voices or have algorithms fed you biases?
- Your morning coffee (is it fair trade?)
- Social shopping trips to the mall- can you host a clothing swap instead?
- Social norms… are you confirming to gendered, racial, or religious ideals that no longer serve you in 2020
SIMPLICITY AND STREAMLINED LIFESTYLE MOTIVATORS
- Bypass the convenience of pre-made supermarket meals by paying a friend with culinarily skills to bulk cook and freeze meals for you.
- Get a carpool roster going in your neighbourhood for school pick up times.
- Make a breakfast smoothie of an evening so it’s ready to go in the morning
- The size of your home. Could you downsize to streamline and save time?
- Laundry day- can you get away with airing it instead of washing?