Why plastic is a problem!
The plastic bottles, bags and takeaway containers that we use just for a few minutes use a material that is designed to last forever. Each time we choose to bring an item of single use plastics into our lives we are contributing to a world wide growing problem of non-biodegrable plastic pollution.
- break up, not break down – becoming permanent pollution
- are mostly downcycled (made into low grade product for just one more use) or sent to landfill
- ‘escape’ from bins, trucks, events etc. to become ‘accidental litter’
- end up in waterways and the ocean – where scientists predict there will be more tonnes of plastic than tonnes of fish by 2050
- transfer to the food chain – carrying pollutants with them
- increase our eco-footprint – plastic manufacturing consumes 6% of the world’s fossil fuels
Every bit of plastic ever made still exists and in the first 10 years of this century the world economy produced more plastic than the entire 1900’s!
You are part of the solution and the Earth thanks you for it!
According to Plastic Free July more than 6 out of 10 of us are already refusing plastic shopping bags, avoiding pre-packed fruit and veg, picking up other people’s litter and avoiding buying bottled water. How great is that! Anyone who has started a waste reduction journey will know that you can always do more. Be part of the solution or our eco issues by signing up to the Plastic Free July #choosetorefuse challenge?
Choosing to be part of the solution, you can act by:
- Avoiding products in plastic packaging (choose alternatives)
- Reducing where possible (opt for refills, remember your reusable shopping bags)
- Refusing plastics that escape as litter (e.g. straws, takeaway cups, utensils, balloons)
- Recycling what cannot be avoided
You can choose your own commitment level by committing to one of the following:
- Avoid single-use plastic packaging
- Target takeaway items (the Top 4: bags, bottles, straws and coffee cups)
- Go completely plastic-free
For a day, a week, the whole month, or as an ongoing commitment.
You really-really-really are a superhero!
Sometimes we discount ourselves and our actions thinking we are too small to make an impact on large-scale eco issues. Believe it or not every small business, multi national company, policy making body, NGO, and governing body is made up of people just like you! We are all able to make big decisions in how we lead our lives. You are an everyday superhero!
These collection of funny, creative, and inspiring videos are provided to give you a giggle and to inspire you to take action.
Will you be joining the Plastic Free July challenge! I’ve committed myself to continuing my journey to zero waste living. What’s your pledge?